Thursday, January 22, 2015

Wallpaper full of Possiblity

Ever since I'd heard of The Yellow Wallpaper I'd been dying to read it. My sister first mentioned it to me when I paced around the house over and over again from anxiety, she said it reminded her of the narrator, peeking my curiosity. Reading it for the first time, the main character writes so earnestly it is easy to believe everything she says until the end of the short story when everything unravels. It is written with odd images giving it the same feel as a novel written with magical realism (one of my personal favorite things). But for me, the best part was going over it and rereading it, it's possible to  imagine different twists to the story because of all the interesting phrases, symbolism, and word choices. Suddenly, it's easy to not trust the narrator's story and see different possibilities of what her actual situation is. Is she in an asylum? Had she been admitted before? Is her madness because of her lack of stimulation? Is she even alive in the beginning or a ghost who simply didn't know? So many possibilities makes it an exciting read every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment