Thursday, January 22, 2015

Life and Loaded Guns

I've spent a long time trying to deny my love for Emily Dickinson's writing. If I read it with no knowledge of the author, I often would proclaim how much I loved it until I found out it was by her. I'm not sure where this prejudice came from but now I fully admit it, I love her poems. As much as it tastes like acid on my tongue to do so.
In class we read multiple works by her, most recently My Life had stood - a Loaded Gun. Reading her is interesting because almost always the first time I go through it because by the time I get to the last lines, I have no idea what I just read. However, rereading is full of answers to everything I first brushed off as nonsense. Within every one of her poems, there are a few lines I gravitate towards first that help me go back and discover more about her meaning behind them. This poem's lines were "To foe of His - I'm deadly foe - / None stir the second time -" and "For I have but the power to kill,/ Without - the power to die -". These lines are both giving her lots of power, and a theme I feel is expressed throughout the entirety of the poem, however that was a topic of dispute in class.

No comments:

Post a Comment